Followers

Translate

NYC Psychotherapist Blog

power by WikipediaMindmap

Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2001

Today is the eighth anniversary of the September 11th World Trade Center attack. For most of us, especially those of us who live in NYC, it's a time to remember where we were that day and to reflect on the many lives that were lost and the people who survived and who are dealing with those losses.

On September 11, 2001, unlike today, it was a clear, sunny day. The sky was beautifully blue. I was in an office two blocks away from the World Trade Center's South Tower. I had arrived in my office at about 8:30 AM and was at my desk when I heard and felt a loud booming noise that sounded like a construction accident. A couple of colleagues came by and we turned on the radio to find out what might have happened. But there was no news during those first few minutes. Then, we saw tons of paper mysteriously floating in the air outside our windows. Eventually, the news about the plane crashing into one of the towers came over the airwaves, but there was still no news about a terrorist attack. Then, there was the second plane crash and a call from building management to evacuate the building.

I'm aware of how lucky I was that day to get out of the building safely and, eventually, get home. I'm also aware that I was fortunate not to have lost anyone at the World Trade Center that day. A week or so later, I listened to many accounts from clients who were not as lucky as I was and who lost husbands, wives, family members, and coworkers in the towers that day.

My heartfelt wish for healing and peace goes out to all families and friends who lost someone on September 11, 2001. My thoughts are with you.